Monday, November 17, 2008

Who Are You?

Do you know who you are? Bullshit answers don’t count. I mean, do you REALLY know who you are?

I know who I am.

I am a pilgrim
I sailed on the Winthrop fleet
I fought the Narragansett
I stormed the beach at Normandy
I am a widowed mother of four
I deserted my children
I fought in the Civil War
I tried the man that shot President McKinley
I am a murderer
I am a teacher
I founded a park system
I am a U.S. Marine

I am all of these things and more

I know this because I have been researching my ancestors. If you haven’t started digging up yours, I suggest that you give it a go. It is easier to do than you might think. The internet has made it easier. Chances are you are already spending way too much time online. Why not spend a little bit of that time learning something about yourself.

Check out ancestry.com. Ancestry.com is a lot of things. It is a time machine. It is a detective service. It is fun. It is easy. There is one thing that it is not. It is not free. Get your parents or other relatives to help you foot the bill. That’s what I did. I guarantee you will be glad you did. And if you’re not, well…you should be.

And… you might just find out who YOU are.

No comments: