Saturday, February 13, 2010

Dizzy-ing World

Ever since my children were born, I have been contemplating the ultimate family vacation...a trip to Disney World.  Planning a trip to Disney World is complicated. There are many things to consider:

  • How much money do you need to save?
  • How old should the kids be when you go? (We don't want Maxine to be too old or Alden to be too young.)
  • Should you stay at a Disney World resort or someplace else?
  • If you stay at a Disney World resort, which one?
  • Do you buy Mickey Mouse ears?
  • Which parks should you go to on which days?
  • How much sunscreen do you need?
  • Do you go over spring break when EVERYONE else goes, or do you go some other time of year?
  • Do you take a grandparent (or two) along?
  • Which friends have already been to Disney World? What advice can they offer?
  • Are there any good discounts available?
  • Do you drive or fly?
  • If you fly, do you need to rent a car?
I have spent eight years asking myself these questions. I have sent for brochures. I have conducted research online. I have looked at travel books. I have spoken with friends that have made the journey.

The entire thing was making me dizzy.

Then it occurred to me that we don't need to go to Disney World. My husband didn't go to Disney World as a kid. He is still a fun-loving, imaginative person. My family never made a trip to Disney World. Okay, I did go to with a friend and her family when I was in the 8th grade. Still, I never went with my family and I did not sustain any permanent emotional damage as a result.

Now I am planning Not Disney World Vacations. I am excited imagining all of the places in the real world that we can see with the money we might have spent on Disney World.

I am a never say never kind of gal so if my Facebook status suddenly mentions a trip to Disney World you don’t need to remind of this blog post. Until then, however, we are planning trips to historic places, national parks, and off-the-beaten path America. 

I think my kids will be okay.  If not, maybe I will order them some Mickey Mouse ears from disney.com.

1 comment:

The Practical Mom's Disney Vacation Companion said...

Well Jill, if you do decide that you want to give planning a Disney World vacation another shot, here's the best and easiest way to plan. Check out The Practical Mom's Disney Vacation Companion: it's everything the guidebooks leave out! The Practical Mom's Disney Vacation Companion was written by a mom with 30 years experience planning family Disney World vacation and is from a mom's perspective. This is a step-by-step planner in e-book format so, unlike other guidebooks, it includes over 120 active hyperlinks to the best Disney World vacation planning websites so that you can gather all the necessary information. Then, The Practical Mom's Disney Vacation Companion actually demonstrates how to use all that information to plan your family's vacation from the magical start to a fairytale ending. Check out a free preview of The Practical Mom's Disney Vacation Companion by going to http://www.momswdw.com/demo-new/.